Earlier this week I gave an update on my garden and promised a recipe post that included the grape tomatoes and onions from my garden. This is an incredibly simple recipe and while it’s not groundbreaking or new it is definitely tasty! The recipe can also be slightly altered to be thicker for a bruschetta mix or used as is for a pizza sauce or base for a minestrone soup. You can’t really go wrong when combining onions and tomatoes, especially when you start adding some garlic and delicious spices to the mix.
Roasted Vegetable Sauce
(makes approximately 3 servings)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup of chopped grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of chopped green pepper
- 3 small cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 cup of regular tomato sauce (can or jar with no added spices)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and chop onion, tomatoes and green pepper.
2. Add olive oil, oregano, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to a bowl and mix.
3. Place chopped vegetables from step one and garlic cloves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (note: check box to confirm max oven temperature).
4. Pour olive oil mixture over vegetables.
5. Bake in oven for 35 minutes.
6. Add roasted vegetables and tomato sauce to a sauce pan and heat through.
7. Serve over pasta of your choice.
Have you ever made a dish using ingredients grown in your backyard?