On a cold windy day to me nothing is better than enjoying some warm homemade soup. My friend Erin was visiting from Toronto this weekend and we went for a nice long walk in Komoka Provincial Park yesterday. To warm up we made some vegan cauliflower cheddar soup.
I first made this soup over the holidays and was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. I was inspired by a soup Brad and I regularly purchased at the market that was a broccoli soup poured over pieces of cheddar cheese. In the fall I had tried some soups with coconut milk in them and so I decided to combine this and use the Daiya cheese wedges I had purchased for the first time.
This soup is easy to make and you can tailor it to your liking by changing the cheese or spice mixture.
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed and cut
- 1/3-1/2 of a Daiya cheddar cheese wedge (or approx 1/2 cup of cheese, cubed)
- 1 teaspoon or each of the following: garam masala, cumin and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Wash and cut cauliflower, removing most of the stem
- Fill large pot with water and place on stove top on high, add 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Place cauliflower in pot of boiling water
- Add 4 cups of water to another pot of boiling water, add 4 teaspoons of vegetable broth powder or if using prepared vegetable broth add 4 cups of broth to pan and bring to a boil
- Add 1 can of coconut milk to vegetable broth mixture, turn heat down to medium
- Once cauliflower is cooked through to your liking drain water and set cauliflower aside
- Add cumin, garam masala, pepper, 1 teaspoon of sea salt and nutmeg to coconut milk and broth mixture
- Add Daiya cheese to coconut milk and broth mixture and stir until cheese melts
- Add cauliflower to coconut milk and broth mixture
- Serve warm
What are your favourite things to do on a cold winter day?