Kerri and I were beyond excited to host 6 of our friends this weekend for a holiday get together. The title EM – refers to event management as this is the program where we all met. We try and get together as a group a few times throughout the year and take turns hosting.
We kicked off the weekend on Friday evening with some serious munchies and catching up. We made a variety of appetizers and took the short cut buying some things store bought. Our spread included: cranberry punch, hummus, cracker, bread sticks, tzatziki sauce, assorted vegetables, bruschetta, roasted edamame and chips and salsa.
On Saturday we decided on antiquing as our activity of choice. We took the girls to Memory Lane Antiques on Hyde Park and it didn’t disappoint. Almost everyone found at least one item and some were able to check off some Christmas shopping.
After antiquing we went back to Kerri’s to refuel with some warm minestrone soup and garlic bread. I’m not one to follow recipes so I used the tomato minestrone soup recipe from Rachel Ray and made the following changes:
- substituted 1 cup of thawed, frozen edamame for the zucchini
- substituted can of canellini beans for white kidney beans
- the soup was made vegan so it did not include pancetta, proscuitto or cheese and I used vegetable stock instead of chicken
- we made garlic bread instead of the croutons included in the recipe
- I added 1 tablespoon of greek seasoning as I didn’t have a bay leaf or basil and wanted to add some additional flavour
Click here for a link to the original recipe.
Don’t forget to visit the blog later this week for part 2 of our holiday weekend from Kerri. Without giving the rest away I will say that we had a great time hosting the girls and I can’t wait for our next EM get together!
What’s your favourite way to catch up with friends?